After scoring the first goal for Portugal against Ghana on Thursday at Doha’s Stadium 974, Cristiano Ronaldo became the first player to score in five World Cup tournaments.
With a final score of 3-2, Portugal defeated Ghana.
After 65 minutes of play, the 37-year-old netted a penalty kick to cement his place in the competition’s annals.
If you enjoy this story, please do not forget to check out our other news stories:
- Pere Egbi: Ghana’s Black Stars much better team than Super Eagles
- Budweiser to ask FIFA for 45 million after alcohol ban in Qatar
- Riots hit Belgium, Netherlands after Morocco victory in Qatar
- Nigeria’s Super Eagles lineup against Portugal announced
- Gernot Rohr: Amaju Pinnick ruined Nigeria’s World Cup chances
At 37 years and 292 days, the Portugal captain became the second-oldest player to score at the World Cup, behind only Roger Milla of Cameroon, who scored against Russia in 1994 at 42 years and 39 days.
Yet, at 37 years and 236 days, Ronaldo has surpassed Sweden’s Gunnar Gren to become the oldest player to score for a European team in the World Cup.
It was Ronaldo’s 118th goal for Portugal.
In 2006, on his World Cup debut, he scored a penalty kick in a 2-0 victory over Iran, making him the first player in World Cup history to do it.
Four years later, he scored his second World Cup goal in a 7-0 demolition of North Korea in South Africa. Ronaldo also scored a goal in Portugal’s 2-1 victory over Ghana at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
The 2018 World Cup in Russia was Ronaldo’s most productive tournament; he scored four times, including a hat trick in a 3-3 tie with Spain.
Just one more goal, and he’ll tie the national record for Portugal, which the great Eusebio set.
While playing for Portugal, Eusebio scored nine goals at the 1966 World Cup in England, helping his team to a third-place finish.
Please check out some of our other recent news articles if you enjoyed this one:
- Morgan Freeman criticized for Qatar World Cup ceremony
- Ferran Torres scores twice as rampant Spain thrash Costa Rica
- Cristiano Ronaldo suspended for two games by FA for Everton incident
- Gerard Pique steps out with new girlfriend after Shakira split
- Manchester United owners consider selling Old Trafford club